Using GOV.UK Pay
GOV.UK Pay is a free service, available to public sector organisations to take online card payments. There’s no monthly charge, no set-up fee and no procurement process. It enables service teams to replace offline payment methods quickly and easily, providing a Payment Card Industry (PCI) fully compliant, secure and accessible user experience hosted on GOV.UK.
It takes a couple of minutes to create an account and you can take payments within a day using our payment link functionality but many services opt for a richer experience and integrate with our well-documented API.
With GOV.UK Pay you can:
- take debit card, credit card and digital wallets payments via our API integration or payment links functionality take recurring payments for ongoing services that automatically renew, for example licensing
- provide assisted digital methods by taking debit and credit card payments by telephone, or post with MOTO payment functionality
- give full or partial refunds
- report on payments manually with CSV downloads or automatically via our API
- apply custom branding on your payment pages
What GOV.UK Pay offers
Payment Service Provider
You need a Payment Service Provider (PSP) to process payments through GOV.UK Pay. We’ve already procured Stripe as our payment provider for you.
Alternatively, if you are a central government or health sector organisation, you can use Government Banking’s centralised contract currently held with Worldpay.
When these contracts and/or suppliers change we will handle the technical integration and make the switch as seamless as possible for public sector users.
Provide full or partial refunds to your users for free
3D Secure 2 is available on all payments taken on GOV.UK Pay.
Download transaction reports about all your payments on GOV.UK Pay.
Customise your payment pages with your own logos and branding.
Send emails to users
GOV.UK Pay can automatically send emails to your users. For example, to confirm:
Manage your team
Control what your team members can see and do and remove them if they leave your organisation.
Standards and support
GOV.UK Pay has been tested against all relevant government accessibility and usability standards. It’s also:
- PCI compliant
- supported 24/7 by the team at the Government Digital Service
- offered with extensive developer documentation
How to use GOV.UK Pay
Use GOV.UK Pay to:
- instantly set up a payment page on GOV.UK
- integrate with our API and generate customised payment pages for your service
Use GOV.UK Pay if you currently collect payment on paper or by email.
Integrating with our API may be better if you have an online service and, for example, you need to delay payments or issue a lot of refunds.